The Hamilton Anatomy of Risk Management—Forensic Version (HARM-FV) is designed for use in the management of adult inpatients and outpatients in a forensic psychiatric setting.
Stage 1: PAST
- History of offences and criminal record
- In the eHARM-FV, the focus of the historical violence assessment is the patient’s criminal record.
- Historical risk factors
Stage 2: CURRENT
- Aggression tracking
- We encourage the use of the AIS or a similar instrument to record and track aggressive incidents.
- Current risk factors
- Protective factors
Stage 3: FUTURE
- Potential behaviours
- Duty to protect
- Violence risk assessment
- Risk is assessed for the immediate (days) and short-term (weeks) horizons.
- Because many patients do well with structure and supervision but may be at higher risk without these, risk is also assessed with professional (or mental health support) and without.
- Escape risk
- Risk management and transition planning
- Stressors and destabilizers
- General Team Comments
HARM-FV workbooks and tear-away pads are available for purchase on the Supplies page.